Tuesday, September 15, 2009

How I Start To Write . . .

I will be honest: I missed class on Friday. My piece of junk car decided that it wasn't meant to be.
I looked at the syllabus and started to panic when it stated that we needed to blog about a topic that was "to be announced." I am assuming the topic was announced in class, and I was not there. I have never missed anything assigned, so I knew that no matter what I would have to post based on what it appeared others were posting. I tried to find out what I am supposed to blog about, and it appears that everyone has been posting about how they start to write, so I think it's safe to assume that this is the assigned topic . . .


Honestly, it's been awhile since I have written, well, anything. Being out of school for about 5 years makes you a little rusty. I have an online journal that has been neglected, but other than that I have been a couch potato and I think my brain was hibernating for a bit. So I am a little unorganized when it comes to how I start to write.
I usually write similarly to how I blog: I think of the topic at hand (my day, an assignment, the meaning of life) and I start to freewrite for awhile. Sometimes the end comes first, and the beginning last. Actually, I find that I always wait to the last minute, and that adrenaline rush of knowing that an assignment is due gives me a little creative burst; most of the time I find myself writing a paper in one sitting. I will rewrite and rewrite, but I find that just sitting down and starting to type unlocks words and ideas that are usually hard to access. For example, when I sat down to post on this topic, my mind drew a blank. As I started to lay out a little background on the circumstances surrounding my post, a spark ignited in my head and it was all downhill from there. Honestly, I think that organization and rough drafts and outlines and such are great for the majority of people, but I find that I do better when I just sit down, begin to type, and let my inner monologue do the rest.

I hope I did this right. I think it's better to attempt and be wrong than just not attempt at all. I guess I will know for sure tomorrow, when I attend my WRT 150 class.
My car thinks we're going to Disneyland, so I think I will be able to make it.

1 comment:

  1. :-) Actually, that was the topic for the other class, but don't worry about it. For the first post, I just wanted to make sure everyone was able to get on the blog and do it.

    Glad you'll be in class today!

    ReplyDelete